[Rd] New pipe operator

Wed Dec 9 16:20:11 CET 2020

On 09/12/2020 9:55 a.m., Jan van der Laan wrote:

> I think only allowing functions on the right hand side (e.g. only the |>
> operator and not the |:>) would be enough to handle most cases and seems
> easier to reason about. The limitations of that can easily be worked
> around using existing functionality in the language.

I agree that would be sufficient, but I don't see how it makes reasoning
easier.  The transformation is trivial, so I'll assume that doesn't
consume any mental energy compared to understanding what the final
expression actually does.  Using your currying example, the choice is
between

  x |> mean(na.rm = TRUE)

which transforms to mean(x, na.rm = TRUE), or your proposed

  x |> curry(mean, na.rm = TRUE)

which transforms to

  curry(mean, na.rm = TRUE)(x)

To me curry(mean, na.rm = TRUE)(x) looks a lot more complicated than
mean(x, na.rm = TRUE), especially since it has the additional risk that
users can define their own function called "curry".

Duncan Murdoch