[Rd] [External] Re: New pipe operator

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothend|eck @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Dec 9 17:25:08 CET 2020

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 10:08 AM Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan using gmail.com> wrote:

> You might be interested in this blog post by Michael Barrowman:
>
> https://michaelbarrowman.co.uk/post/the-new-base-pipe/
>
> He does some timing comparisons, and the current R-devel implementations
> of |> and \() do quite well.

It does bring out that the requirement of using functions to get around the
lack of placeholders is not free but exacts a small penalty in
terms of performance (in addition to verbosity).

The bizarro pipe supports placeholders and so doesn't require functions
as a workaround and thus would presumably be even faster.  It is also
perfectly consistent with the rest of R and requires no new syntax.
You have to explicitly add a dot as the first argument but this seems a better
compromise to me than those involved with |> .