[Rd] the pipe |> and line breaks in pipelines

Kevin Ushey kev|nu@hey @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Dec 9 20:58:03 CET 2020

I agree with Duncan that the right solution is to wrap the pipe
expression with parentheses. Having the parser treat newlines
differently based on whether the session is interactive, or on what
type of operator happens to follow a newline, feels like a pretty big
can of worms.

I think this (or something similar) would accomplish what you want
while still retaining the nice aesthetics of the pipe expression, with
a minimal amount of syntax "noise":

result <- (
  data
    |> op1()
    |> op2()
)

For interactive sessions where you wanted to execute only parts of the
pipeline at a time, I could see that being accomplished by the editor
-- it could transform the expression so that it could be handled by R,
either by hoisting the pipe operator(s) up a line, or by wrapping the
to-be-executed expression in parentheses for you. If such a style of
coding became popular enough, I'm sure the developers of such editors
would be interested and willing to support this ...

Perhaps more importantly, it would be much easier to accomplish than a
change to the behavior of the R parser, and it would be work that
wouldn't have to be maintained by the R Core team.

Best,
Kevin