[Rd] the pipe |> and line breaks in pipelines

Wed Dec 9 22:03:45 CET 2020

On 09/12/2020 3:45 p.m., Timothy Goodman wrote:
> Regarding special treatment for |>, isn't it getting special treatment
> anyway, because it's implemented as a syntax transformation from x |>
> f(y) to f(x, y), rather than as an operator?

That's different.  Currently |> is parsed just like any other binary
operator, it's the code emitted after parsing that is different from
most other cases.  I think your suggestion would need changes in the
parsing itself.

It's a few years since I worked with Bison (the parser generator that R
uses), but I recall that handling inconsistencies was always tricky.

> That said, the point about wanting a block of code submitted
> line-by-line to work the same as a block of code submitted all at once
> is a fair one.  Maybe the better solution would be if there were a way
> to say "Submit the selected code as a single expression, ignoring
> line-breaks".

The way to do that is to replace some of the line breaks with
semicolons, which act as statement separators.  The tricky bit is to
figure out which ones to replace.  So if your block is

   x +

you'd glue it together as "x + y; z".  RStudio appears to know enough
about R parsing to do that, and presumably if it was allowed to look at
the start of the next line could handle things like

   |> f()

and rewrite them as "x |> f(); z".  It would mess up debugging a little
(z is now on line 1, not line 3), but maybe it could undo the
transformation if R told it there was a problem at line 1, column 11.

  Then I could run any number of lines with pipes at the
> start and no special character at the end, and have it treated as a
> single pipeline.  I suppose that'd need to be a feature offered by the
> environment (RStudio's RNotebooks in my case).  I could wrap my
> pipelines in parentheses (to make the "pipes at start of line" syntax
> valid R code), and then could use the hypothetical "submit selected code
> ignoring line-breaks" feature when running just the first part of the
> pipeline -- i.e., selecting full lines, but starting after the opening
> paren so as not to need to insert a closing paren.

I think I don't understand your workflow enough to comment on this.

Duncan