[Rd] Default for checkBuilt in update.packages() should be TRUE

Michael Dewey ||@t@ @end|ng |rom dewey@myzen@co@uk
Mon Feb 24 12:34:01 CET 2020

I suppose it is too late to change the name but checkBuilt does not
immediately clarify to me what it does. It does not check whether I have
built a package for instance. Having read Duncan's post at least I now
know that I should set it as TRUE until the default is changed.

Michael

On 24/02/2020 10:48, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> The checkBuilt argument to update.packages() currently defaults to
> FALSE.  This means that packages built and installed under R 3.6.2 will
> not be updated by R 4.0.0, and leads to confusion (e.g.
> https://stackoverflow.com/q/60356442/2554330, where tidyverse can't be
> updated because some of its many dependencies haven't been updated).
>
> The default should be TRUE, even though this will lead to some packages
> being updated unnecessarily, because the cost of an unnecessary update
> is so much less than the cost of missing a necessary update.
>
> Duncan Murdoch

Michael
http://www.dewey.myzen.co.uk/home.html