[Rd] specials issue, a heads up

peter dalgaard pd@|gd @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Feb 24 20:53:14 CET 2020

Notice that the stats package contains the same issue: For some reason it defines an offset() function (for no particular reason, afaics) which just returns its argument. So

> x <- rnorm(10)
> y <- z <- 1:10
> lm(x~y+offset(z))

Call:
lm(formula = x ~ y + offset(z))

Coefficients:
(Intercept)            y
     0.8253      -1.0840

> lm(x~y+stats::offset(z))

Call:
lm(formula = x ~ y + stats::offset(z))

Coefficients:
     (Intercept)                 y  stats::offset(z)
         0.82531          -0.08397                NA

So I'm inclined to say that formulas are formulas and functions using formulas interpret functions and operators at their own convenience. You also deserve what you get from

> lm(x~base::`+`(y,z))

Call:
lm(formula = x ~ base::`+`(y, z))

Coefficients: