[Rd] Another wish (?) for R 4.0.0: print(*, width = <n>)

Tue Jan 7 12:58:15 CET 2020

One of the things I often wish R would work with:

When calling print() explicitly --- as I do not so rarely, e.g.,
specifying  digits = <nd> ---
it sometimes seems awkward that from the printing options() ,
one can specify 'digits' and it has default  digits = NULL which is
documented to be equivalent to  digits = getOption("digits"),
but one cannot specify 'width'
... well "even worse": one *can* specify 'width = .' but it is
silently ignored - as well documented  on  ?print.default

Before considering to add this for R 4.0.0, doing the work
myself, I'd quickly wanted to hear opinions / caveats / .. about this.

wishing you all a  Happy New Year,
Martin

Martin Maechler
ETH Zurich and R Core Team