[Rd] re-submission of package after CRAN-pretest notes

Gabriel Becker g@bembecker @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Jan 8 21:28:53 CET 2020

Hi Michael,

At the risk of sounding like I'm just name-dropping, R. Gentleman once told
me something along the lines of "version numbers are cheap, don't be afrai
to use a lot of them".

I get that its a bit annoying but its for good reason, imho. Any change, no
matter how trivial will change the MD5 of the package tarball. And as
someone who has administered a large shared R platform, I don't really ever
want 2 (source) tarballs of the "same version" of a package to differ like
that. Bumping the smallest portion of the version number doesn't seem a
very high price to avoid any possibility of that kind of confusion, to me
at least.

Obviously this only holds for published package versions, installing
directly from source control is a different story all together (which is
why, imho, it is so dangerous and should be avoided whenever its not
absolutely necessary, e.g., developing your own package against dev
versions of other packages). I could go on a lot more about that, but I'll
spare everyone the rant :)

Just my 2c

Best,
~G