[Rd] matplot.Date & matplot.POSIXct

Spencer Graves @pencer@gr@ve@ @end|ng |rom prod@y@e@com
Thu Jan 23 17:14:50 CET 2020

Hello, All:

       Roughly a decade ago, I added "matplot.Date" and
"matplot.POSIXct" to the "fda" package, so we could get reasonable
labeling of the horizontal axis when "x" was class "Date" or "POSIXct".
I also added a local version of "matplot.default" that just changes the
defaults for "xlab" and "ylab".

       Would anyone care to comment on this?

       In particular, might there be any interest among the R Core Team
of adding "matplot.Date" and "matplot.POSIXct" to the "graphics" package?

       Secondarily, might anyone have any thoughts about the defaults
for "xlab" and "ylab" in "graphics::matplot"?

       I ask, because the Jim Ramsay, Giles Hooker and I are preparing a
new release of "fda", and Jim asked me if we needed to to have "matplot"
masking "graphics::matplot".  Rather than answer that question, I
thought I would ask a larger question of this group.

       Thanks,
       Spencer Graves