[Rd] lapply and vapply Primitive Documentation

Martin Morgan mtmorg@n@b|oc @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Jul 10 10:16:37 CEST 2020

Was hoping for an almost record old bug fix (older than some R users!), but apparently the documentation bug is only a decade old (maybe only older than some precious R users)

  https://github.com/wch/r-source/blame/2118f1d0ff70c1ebd06148b6cb7659efe5ff4d99/src/library/base/man/lapply.Rd#L116

(I don't see lapply / vapply referenced as primitive in the original text changed by the commit).

Martin Morgan

On 7/10/20, 3:52 AM, "R-devel on behalf of Martin Maechler" <r-devel-bounces using r-project.org on behalf of maechler using stat.math.ethz.ch> wrote:

        > The documentation of ?lapply includes:
        >> lapply and vapply are primitive functions.

        > However, both evaluate to FALSE in `is.primitive()`:

        >     is.primitive(vapply) #FALSE

        >     is.primitive(lapply) #FALSE

        > It appears that they are not primitives and that the
        > documentation might be outdated. Thank you for your time
        > and work.

    Thank you, Cole.
    Indeed, they were primitive originally (but e.g. lapply() seems
    to have become .Internal with
       r7885 | ripley | 2000-01-31 08:58:59 +0100
    i.e. about 4 weeks *before* release of R 1.0.0

    Changes made to both 'R-devel' and 'R-patched'.
    Martin

        > Cole Miller

        > P.S. During research, my favorite `help()` is
        > `?.Internal()`: "Only true R wizards should even consider
        > using this function..." Thanks again!

    ;-)