[Rd] install.packages(): About an option for installing archived versions

Patrick Schratz p@tr|ck@@chr@tz @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Jun 6 16:02:00 CEST 2020

Duncan,

I am not sure if my arguing was understood given your reply.
First, I was arguing about the existence of the `archive.rds` metadata
file, maintained by CRAN - not the existence of
`remotes::install_version()` as a reason for this idea.
Second, `install.packages()` is a function accessing both R core and
contributed packages, with CRAN being the default repository for the
latter.
I do not understand the part with the R internals - what does this have
to do with installing older versions of both core and contributed
packages?

> I can't see any current R core member wanting to take on extra work
> unnecessarily.

What kind of work would be unnecessarily here? The existence of such a
function in a contributed package? (Just to understand your point here)

> R isn't maintained on Github so a PR wouldn't make sense, but I also
> doubt the submission of an svn patch would be acted on unless you come
> up with some strong arguments about why remotes::install_version
> doesn't work properly and can't be fixed by its authors.

I know that R is not maintained on GH. "PR" was just a developer term
referring to a "patch" as its called by some. Even though a "patch"
sounds more close to "bugfix" than to a general "contribution" meaning.

Also again, `remotes::install_version()` is fine.
However, in my view, this functionality should be part of
`install.packages()` with a simple argument `version`.
I am not sure if you mean to argue that due to the existence of
contributed packages, no additions to base R need to be made (anymore).
Following this thinking, base R packages could be retired since there
are alternatives (often more user-friendly and robust ones) for almost
every base R function nowadays.

The main advantage of base R is its stability and the fact that it comes
with the R installation per se.
It often does not shine in terms of user-friendliness or
type-safetiness.
IMO it would be great to have one function for installing packages (i.e.
`install.packages()`) that is somewhat flexible, removing the need for
multiple contributed functions in other packages to solve this every-day
task.

Also right now I am feeling a bit more like "sorry for asking" instead
of "hey thanks for contributing - this is a valid question and here are
our arguments". I am sure many people have had this thought/idea already
and weren't self confident enough to ask/discuss this.

Thanks for your reply again, appreciated. Maybe the discussion can go on
a bit, shining a bit more light on this issue.

Patrick