[Rd] [External] Re: use of the tcltk package crashes R 4.0.1 for Windows

iuke-tier@ey m@iii@g oii uiow@@edu iuke-tier@ey m@iii@g oii uiow@@edu
Sun Jun 7 17:53:54 CEST 2020

On Sun, 7 Jun 2020, peter dalgaard wrote:

> So this wasn't tested for a month?
>
> Anyways, Free() is just free() with a check that we're not freeing a null pointer, followed by setting the pointer to NULL. At that point of tcltk.c, we have
>
>   for (objc = i = 0; i < length(avec); i++){
>        const char *s;
>        char *tmp;
>        if (!isNull(nm) && strlen(s = translateChar(STRING_ELT(nm, i)))){
>            //  tmp = calloc(strlen(s)+2, sizeof(char));
>            tmp = Calloc(strlen(s)+2, char);
>            *tmp = '-';
>            strcpy(tmp+1, s);
>            objv[objc++] = Tcl_NewStringObj(tmp, -1);
>            free(tmp);
>        }
>        if (!isNull(t = VECTOR_ELT(avec, i)))
>            objv[objc++] = (Tcl_Obj *) R_ExternalPtrAddr(t);
>    }
>
> and I can't see how tmp can be NULL at the free(), nor can I see it mattering if it is not set to NULL (notice that it goes out of scope with the for loop).

Right. And the calloc->Calloc change doesn't look like an issue either
-- just checking for a NULL.

If the crash is happening in free() then that most likely means
corrupted malloc data structures. Unfortunately that could be
happening anywhere.

Best bet to narrow this down is for someone with a good Windows setup
who can reproduce this to bisect the svn commits and see at what
commit this started happening. Unfortunately my office Windows machine
isn't responding and it will probably take some time to get that
fixed.

Best,

luke