[Rd] tcltk image reading problem (on a mac?): [tcl] encountered an unsupported criticial chunk type "eXIf"

Wayne Oldford rwo|d|ord @end|ng |rom uw@ter|oo@c@
Thu Jun 11 23:04:49 CEST 2020

Hello everyone

I am not sure when this appeared
(sometime post R 3.5.0 and after I switched to Mac OS Catalina).

I do not think it happens on all platforms (e.g. seems to work on windows).

But it seems that

      tkimage.create()

no longer works on a Mac for all png files.

(It does work for *some* old png files I have on disk but I have not been able to determine what is different about the ones that work)

Any help would be appreciated.

- Wayne

R.W. Oldford
math.uwaterloo.ca/~rwoldfor

> library(tcltk)

> fname <- "Rplot.png"
> png(filename = fname, width = 500, height = 500)
> hist(rnorm(20))
> dev.off()

> tkimage.create("photo", file = fname)

Error in structure(.External(.C_dotTclObjv, objv), class = "tclObj") :
  [tcl] encountered an unsupported criticial chunk type "eXIf".

______________________________

> R.version
               _
platform       x86_64-apple-darwin17.0
arch           x86_64
os             darwin17.0
system         x86_64, darwin17.0
status
major          4
minor          0.0
year           2020
month          04
day            24
svn rev        78286
language       R
version.string R version 4.0.0 (2020-04-24)
nickname       Arbor Day

macOS Catalina V 10.15.5