[Rd] [External] Possible ABI change in R 4.0.1

iuke-tier@ey m@iii@g oii uiow@@edu iuke-tier@ey m@iii@g oii uiow@@edu
Tue Jun 30 00:55:37 CEST 2020

EXTPTR_PTR is not in the API so it is not guaranteed to even exist in
the future. The API function for accessing the pointer address is
R_ExternalPtrAddr. See Section 5.13 in WRE.

Sometimes internals need to be changed, In this case a change was made
to deal with a segfault; the commit notice tells you the PR this
addressed.

As it says in Writing R Extensions about defining USE_RINTERNALS:

     Also be prepared to adjust your code should R internals change.

The same goes for any use of non-API macros and functions.

Best,

luke