[Rd] dput()

Steven Dirkse @d|rk@e @end|ng |rom g@m@@com
Sun Mar 1 00:27:27 CET 2020

Ben,

I'll edit and split your question just a little.
  1) "Is there a way to get an *exact* ASCII representation of a
double-precision value?"
  2) "Is there a way to get round-trip behavior, i.e. to make sure that the
value, when converted back to double, is identical() to the original"

The hexNumeric idea mentioned by Duncan is a positive answer to the first
question.  It's a little hard to grok at first, but it is fully precise and
represents exactly a 64-bit double.  And since it is exact it converts back
identically.

But there is another way to get round-trip behavior.  There is a set of
routines called dtoa that, when given an IEEE double, produce the shortest
sequence of base 10 digits that will map back to the double.  There may be
some rounding when producing these digits, but of all the digit sequences
that would map back to the input x, these routines produce the shortest
such.

A link to the original routines is here:

http://www.netlib.org/fp/dtoa.c

and some searching will turn up variants of this code in newer guises.

A good question to ask: for all finite doubles, what is the length of the
longest digit sequence required?  I believe 17 digits is the max digits
required.  It may be 18, but I doubt it.  I don't have an example at hand
and I spent some time looking when working with these routines.   Oh, BTW,
trailing or leading zeros do not count toward the length of the digit
sequence.

-Steve