[Rd] survival bug? - solved

brodie gaslam brod|e@g@@|@m @end|ng |rom y@hoo@com
Thu Mar 5 21:41:24 CET 2020

I _think_ the relevant section of the C standard is 6.5.6 Additive Operators Par 8, excerpted here:

> If both the pointer operand and the result point to elements
> of the same array object, or one past the last element of the
> array object, the evaluation shall not produce an overflow;
> otherwise, **the behavior is undefined**.

This is from the [C11 draft][1], though I imagine has been part of the standard for a while.  So by doing id[-1], in this case the pointer operand is id, and the result is one element _before_ the array object, thus undefined behavior which is bad news.

I'm not an expert in these matters though.

[1]: http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1570.pdf