[Rd] support of `substitute(...())`

Dénes Tóth toth@dene@ @end|ng |rom kogentum@hu
Thu Mar 12 16:22:09 CET 2020

On 3/12/20 4:06 PM, William Dunlap wrote:
> Note that substitute(...()) and substitute(someFunc(...))[-1] give
> slightly different results, the former a pairlist and the latter a call.
>    > str((function(...)substitute(...()))(stop(1),stop(2),stop(3)))
>    Dotted pair list of 3
>     $ : language stop(1)
>     $ : language stop(2)
>     $ : language stop(3)
>    >
> str((function(...)substitute(someFunc(...))[-1])(stop(1),stop(2),stop(3)))
>     language stop(1)(stop(2), stop(3))

Yes, I am aware of this difference. In my use cases, the ...() form
gives the result that I prefer (a pairlist).

> The ...() idiom has been around for a long time, but more recently
> (slightly after R-3.4.0?) the ...elt(n) and ...length() functions were
> introduced so you don't have to use it much.

Yes, I know both.

> I don't see a ...names()
> function that would give the names of the ... arguments -
> names(substitute(...())).

Exactly, this is a frequent use case. Occasionally I use it in other
cases as well where I deliberately do not want to evaluate the arguments
passed as dots.

What I am most interested in is whether this is a 'trick' or a legal use
of a (rather unadvertised) feature of the language.