[Rd] Rebuilding and re-checking of downstream dependencies on CRAN Mac build machines

Simon Urbanek @|mon@urb@nek @end|ng |rom R-project@org
Thu Mar 26 22:00:33 CET 2020

Winston,

the Mac CRAN build builds a package only if either is true:
1) the package has not passed checks
2) there is a new version of the package since last successful build+check

The old build machine doesn't have the capacity to do full re-builds (it would take over 24h - currently the nightly build of packages takes 16-22 hours), but we're currently building a new setup for R 4.0.0 on new hardware and as a part of it we are planning to setup a "mac-builder" similar to what is currently available for Windows.

That said, I have run httpuv by hand on the CRAN build machine (against Rcpp 1.0.4) and I saw no issues. I have seen the discussion on Rcpp, but so far no one actually posted details of what is breaking (nor do your links include any actual details on this). I'd love to help, but the lack fo a useful report makes this impossible. If you have any actual leads, please post them. The CRAN machine uses the tools that are available on CRAN: https://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/tools/ (clang-7 and gfortran-6.1 for 3.6.x)

Cheers,
Simon