[Rd] status of Java & rJava?

Spencer Graves @pencer@gr@ve@ @end|ng |rom prod@y@e@com
Sat Mar 28 21:18:56 CET 2020

Hello, All:

       Is Java being deprecated for R?

       I ask, because I've been unable to get rJava 0.9-11 to work under
either macOS 10.15 or Windows 10, and I can't get rJava 0.9-12 to
install -- and my Ecfun package uses it:   I can't get "R CMD build
Ecfun" to work on my Mac nor "R CMD check Ecfun_0.2-4" under Windows.
Travis CI builds "https://github.com/sbgraves237/Ecfun" just fine.

       The rJava maintainer, Simon Urbanek, has kindly responded to two
of my three emails on this since 2020-03-20, but I've so far been unable
to translate his suggestions into fixes for these problems.

       Should I remove rJava from Ecfun and see what breaks, then see if
I can work around that?  Should I provide the error messages I get for
rJava from "update.packages()" and / or library(rJava) on both machines,
with sessionInfo() to this list or to Stack Exchange or Stack Overflow?

       Since I'm getting so many problems with rJava on under both macOS
and Windows 10, that suggests to me that potential users could have
similar problems, and I should try to remove rJava from Ecfun.

       What do you think?
       Thanks,
       Spencer Graves