[Rd] status of Java & rJava?

Ravi Varadhan r@v|@v@r@dh@n @end|ng |rom jhu@edu
Sun Mar 29 01:23:31 CET 2020

I, too, had encountered problems with Java on Windows 10 while I was trying to install the package "xlsx."  I tried the fixes I found online, but to no avail.

Thanks & Best regards,

Ravi

________________________________
From: R-devel <r-devel-bounces using r-project.org> on behalf of Gregory Warnes <greg using warnes.net>
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2020 8:14:45 PM
To: Spencer Graves
Cc: r-devel using r-project.org
Subject: Re: [Rd] status of Java & rJava?

Hi Spencer, I'm also having problems getting rJava to work on Mac OS X.

-G

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 4:19 PM Spencer Graves <spencer.graves using prodsyse.com>
wrote:

> Hello, All:
>

>        Is Java being deprecated for R?
>

>        I ask, because I've been unable to get rJava 0.9-11 to work under
> either macOS 10.15 or Windows 10, and I can't get rJava 0.9-12 to
> install -- and my Ecfun package uses it:   I can't get "R CMD build
> Ecfun" to work on my Mac nor "R CMD check Ecfun_0.2-4" under Windows.
> Travis CI builds "https://github.com/sbgraves237/Ecfun" just fine.
>

>        The rJava maintainer, Simon Urbanek, has kindly responded to two
> of my three emails on this since 2020-03-20, but I've so far been unable
> to translate his suggestions into fixes for these problems.
>

>        Should I remove rJava from Ecfun and see what breaks, then see if
> I can work around that?  Should I provide the error messages I get for
> rJava from "update.packages()" and / or library(rJava) on both machines,
> with sessionInfo() to this list or to Stack Exchange or Stack Overflow?
>

>        Since I'm getting so many problems with rJava on under both macOS
> and Windows 10, that suggests to me that potential users could have
> similar problems, and I should try to remove rJava from Ecfun.
>

>        What do you think?
>        Thanks,
>        Spencer Graves

"Whereas true religion and good morals are the only solid foundations of
public liberty and happiness . . . it is hereby earnestly recommended to
the several States to take the most effectual measures for the
encouragement thereof." Continental Congress, 1778

        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]