[Rd] Request: tools::md5sum should accept connections and finally in-memory objects

Dénes Tóth toth@dene@ @end|ng |rom kogentum@hu
Fri May 1 23:35:04 CEST 2020

On 5/1/20 11:09 PM, John Mount wrote:
> Perhaps use the digest package? Isn't "R the R packages?"

I think it is clear that I am aware of the existence of the digest
package and also of other packages with similar functionality, e.g. the
fastdigest package. (And I actually do use digest as I guess 99% percent
of the R developers do at least as an indirect dependency.) The point is
that
a) digest is a wonderful and very stable package, but still, it is a
user-contributed package, whereas
b) 'tools' is a base package which is included by default in all R
installations, and
c) tools::md5sum already exists, with almost all building blocks to
allow its extension to calculate MD5 hashes of R objects, and
d) there is high demand in the R community for being able to calculate
hashes.

So yes, if one wants to use all the utilities or the various algos that
the digest package provides, one should install and load it. But if one
can live with MD5 hashes, why not use the built-in R function? (Well,
without serializing an object to a file, calling tools::md5sum, and then
cleaning up the file.)