[Rd] defining r audio connections

irederik m@iii@g oii oib@@et irederik m@iii@g oii oib@@et
Wed May 6 21:26:07 CEST 2020

On Wed, May 06, 2020 at 02:26:34PM -0400, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>On 06/05/2020 1:09 p.m., frederik using ofb.net wrote:
>>I only want an object that I can use `readBin` and `writeBin` on, to read and write audio data using e.g. `snd_pcm_writei` which is part of the `alsa-lib` package.
>
>I don't think R supports user-defined connections, but probably
>writing readBin and writeBin equivalents specific to your library
>wouldn't be any harder than creating a connection.  For those, you
>will probably want to work with an "external pointer" (see Writing R
>Extensions). Rcpp probably has support for these if you're working in
>C++.

Thank you, yes I was following

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/59384221/proper-way-to-return-a-pointer-to-a-new-object-from-an-rcpp-function

which uses XPtr.

I'll forget about making a connection, if it is not supported.

I had this idea that I would be able to use the same code for writing to a file as to an audio device, but I can create my own class for that.

Frederick