[Rd] justify hard coded in format.ftable

SOEIRO Thomas Thom@@@SOEIRO @end|ng |rom @p-hm@|r
Thu May 14 15:20:56 CEST 2020

I suspected it was partly due to the fact that ftable doesn't get much interest/isn't much used...

So thank you very much for answering, and for your time!

>> Dear all,
>> I haven't received any feedback so far on my proposal to make "justify" argument available in stats:::format.ftable
>>
>> Is this list the appropriate place for this kind of proposal?
>
> Yes, it is.. Actually such a post is even a "role model" post for R-devel.
>
>> I hope this follow-up to my message won't be taken as rude. Of course it's not meant to be, but I'm not used to the R mailing lists...
>
> well, there could be said much, and many stories told here ... ;-)
>
>> Thank you in advance for your comments,
>>
>> Best,
>> Thomas
>
> The main reasons for "no reaction" (for such nice post) probably are combination of the following
>
> - we are busy
> - if we have time, we think other things are more exciting
> - we have not used ftable much/at all and are not interested.
>
> Even though the first 2 apply to me, I'll have a 2nd look into your post now, and may end up well agreeing with your proposal.
>
> Martin Maechler
> ETH Zurich  and  R Core team
>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> justify argument is hard coded in format.ftable:
>>>
>>> cbind(apply(LABS, 2L, format, justify = "left"),
>>> apply(DATA, 2L, format, justify = "right"))
>>>
>>> It would be useful to have the possibility to modify the argument between c("left", "right", "centre", "none") as in format.default.
>>>
>>> The lines could be changed to:
>>>
>>> if(length(justify) != 2)
>>> stop("justify must be length 2")
>>> cbind(apply(LABS, 2L, format, justify = justify[1]),