[Rd] parallel PSOCK connection latency is greater on Linux?

Iñaki Ucar |uc@r @end|ng |rom |edor@project@org
Mon Nov 2 14:05:25 CET 2020

On Mon, 2 Nov 2020 at 02:22, Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek using r-project.org> wrote:

> It looks like R sockets on Linux could do with TCP_NODELAY -- without (status quo):

How many network packets are generated with and without it? If there
are many small writes and thus setting TCP_NODELAY causes many small
packets to be sent, it might make more sense to set TCP_QUICKACK
instead.

Iñaki

> Unit: microseconds
>                    expr      min       lq     mean  median       uq      max
>  clusterEvalQ(cl, iris) 1449.997 43991.99 43975.21 43997.1 44001.91 48027.83
>  neval
>   1000
>
> exactly the same machine + R but with TCP_NODELAY enabled in R_SockConnect():
>
> Unit: microseconds
>                    expr     min     lq     mean  median      uq      max neval
>  clusterEvalQ(cl, iris) 156.125 166.41 180.8806 170.247 174.298 5322.234  1000
>
> Cheers,
> Simon
>

> > On 2/11/2020, at 3:39 AM, Jeff <jeff using vtkellers.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm exploring latency overhead of parallel PSOCK workers and noticed that serializing/unserializing data back to the main R session is significantly slower on Linux than it is on Windows/MacOS with similar hardware. Is there a reason for this difference and is there a way to avoid the apparent additional Linux overhead?
> >
> > I attempted to isolate the behavior with a test that simply returns an existing object from the worker back to the main R session.
> >
> > library(parallel)
> > library(microbenchmark)
> > gcinfo(TRUE)
> > cl <- makeCluster(1)
> > (x <- microbenchmark(clusterEvalQ(cl, iris), times = 1000, unit = "us"))
> > plot(x$time, ylab = "microseconds")
> > head(x$time, n = 10)
> >
> > On Windows/MacOS, the test runs in 300-500 microseconds depending on hardware. A few of the 1000 runs are an order of magnitude slower but this can probably be attributed to garbage collection on the worker.
> >
> > On Linux, the first 5 or so executions run at comparable speeds but all subsequent executions are two orders of magnitude slower (~40 milliseconds).
> >
> > I see this behavior across various platforms and hardware combinations:
> >
> > Ubuntu 18.04 (Intel Xeon Platinum 8259CL)
> > Linux Mint 19.3 (AMD Ryzen 7 1800X)
> > Linux Mint 20 (AMD Ryzen 7 3700X)
> > Windows 10 (AMD Ryzen 7 4800H)
> > MacOS 10.15.7 (Intel Core i7-8850H)