[Rd] sprintf, check number of parameters

matthias-gondan m@tth|@@-gond@n @end|ng |rom gmx@de
Wed Nov 4 16:01:59 CET 2020

Dear Tomas,Thank you.Regarding the "unnumbered" arguments, i.e. sprintf('%f %f', 1, 2, 3). This was the case I wanted to report, here a warning can be very useful.Regarding the "numbered" arguments, that is, sprintf('%$1f %$3f', 1, 2, 3). Here, omission of an argument might be intended, for example, in an application with support for multiple languages. Therefore, I am wondering if a warning should be raised.Regarding the mixture: never heard that this works, and I would probably not want to use it...Your work is much appreciated, thanks again.Best regards,Matthias
-------- Ursprüngliche Nachricht --------Von: Tomas Kalibera <tomas.kalibera using gmail.com> Datum: 04.11.20  15:43  (GMT+01:00) An: Matthias Gondan <matthias-gondan using gmx.de>, r-devel using r-project.org Betreff: Re: [Rd] sprintf, check number of parameters Dear Matthias,thanks for the suggestion, R-devel now warns on unused arguments by format (both numbered and un-numbered). It seems that the new warning is useful, often it finds cases when arguments were accidentally passed to sprintf but had been meant for a different function.R allows combining both numbered and un-numbered references in a single format, even though it may be better to avoid and POSIX does not allow that.BestTomasOn 9/20/20 1:03 PM, Matthias Gondan wrote:> Dear R developers,>> I am wondering if this should raise an error or a warning.>>> sprintf('%.f, %.f', 1, 2, 3)> [1] "1, 2">> I am aware that R has „numbered“ sprintf arguments (sprintf('%1$.f', …), and in that case, omissing of specific arguments may be intended. But in the usual syntax, omission of an argument is probably a mistake.>> Thank you for your consideration.>> Best wishes,>> Matthias>>> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]>> ______________________________________________> R-devel using r-project.org mailing list> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]