[Rd] Process to Incorporate Functions from {parallely} into base R's {parallel} package

Henrik Bengtsson henr|k@bengt@@on @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Nov 7 19:39:48 CET 2020

FWIW, there are indeed a few low hanging bug fixes in 'parallelly'
that should be easy to incorporate into 'parallel' without adding
extra maintenance.  For example, in parallel::makePSOCKcluster(), it
is not possible to disable SSH option '-l USER' so that it can be set
in ~/.ssh/config.  The remote user name will be the user name of your
local machine and if you try to set user=NULL, you'll end up with an
invalid SSH call.   The current behavior means that you are forced to
specify the remote user name in your R code.  All that it takes is to
fix this is to update:

  cmd <- paste(rshcmd, "-l", user, machine, cmd)

to something like:

  cmd <- paste(rshcmd, if (length(user) == 1L) paste("-l", user), machine, cmd)

This is one example of what I've patched in
parallelly::makeClusterPSOCK() over the years.  Another is the use of
reverse tunneling in SSH - that completely avoids the need to know and
specify your public IP and reconfiguring the firewalls from the remote
server back to your local machine so that the worker can connect back
to your local machine.  Not many users have the permission to
reconfigure firewalls and it's also extremely tedious.  Reverse SSH
tunneling is super simply; all you need to to is something like:

rshopts <- c(sprintf("-R %d:%s:%d", rscript_port, master, port), rshopts)

/Henrik