[Rd] one thing to check

Spencer Graves @pencer@gr@ve@ @end|ng |rom e||ect|vede|en@e@org
Tue Nov 10 14:58:31 CET 2020

Hi, Jim:

	  Could you please look at svd2.Rd and see what it says?  It may give
an example, where it gave a better answer than svd -- i.e., a marginal
case, where svd2 honestly gave a better answer than svd.

	  If we find -- either in svd2.Rd or in one of the revdepchecks -- an
example where svd2 gives a demonstrably different answer, we need to
consider what to do about that.

		    1.  Is the different answer demonstrably better?  If yes, can we
fix it without LINPACK?  If yes, do that.  If no, we document those
concerns, send them to R-Devel <r-devel using r-project.org>, and retain svd2
in fda and keep its use as it was.  Then R-Devel can deal with the
problem however they want, and it won't affect fda -- at least not right
now.

		    2.  Does the different answer break something in revdepcheck
because of a cosmetic problem?  If yes, try to communicate that issue
with the maintainer(s) of the package(s) that would be affected by such
a change.  I suggest you send them tell then that svd2 is now deprecated
-- AND mark svd2.Rd with such a message -- while also sending them code
for the function(s) they call that give them an error message, and tell
them that you plan to remove svd2 from the next release, and ask them to
fix that so a revdepcheck with that new code won't be flagged as an
error.  AND ask them to notify you when they have a version on CRAN that
works with your new code.

		    3.  If the new code gives a different answer that doesn't seem
better in at least one example AND deleting svd2 doesn't break anything
in revdepcheck, then delete it.

		    4.  If you still need to retain svd2 because of a revdepcheck
problem, I'd also document that in "cran-comments.md".

	  What do you think?
	  spencer