[Rd] return (x+1) * 1000

Jan T. Kim jttk|m @end|ng |rom goog|em@||@com
Sat Nov 21 01:42:03 CET 2020

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 02:48:11PM -0800, Bill Dunlap wrote:
> Perhaps the parser should warn if you use return() at all.  It is rarely
> needed and is akin to the evil 'GOTO' statement in that it makes the flow
> of control less obvious to the reader.

My experience is contrary to this, using return explicitly makes
code more readable for a substantial proportion of coders. This is
based on debugging return-unaware code, and helping others debug,
over many years, and finding that a considerable proportion of people
aren't very aware of the implicit return of the last evaluated
expression. Examples that I've known to cause people to despair
include code "mysteriously" going wrong after appending an "innocent"
statement like

    print(x);

to a function (so the function now returns x, rather than whatever
it was returning before), or functions returning something unintended
in some rather rare combination of conditions.

>From a language design perspective it seems to me that perhaps a cause
of the problem is that return is not a keyword like "function", but a
function itself -- and, of necessity, a rather peculiar one.

Personally, I'd prefer upgrading return to a keyword, as I can't think
of any way of preventing the weirdnesses discussed in this thread while
preserving the function implementation of "return". This would also be
a step towards getting the parser to warn about uses of return that
are considered undesirable -- with the current function implementation,
the parser can't really tell whether any call will effectively be to
return, it could be anything looking as innocent as "f":

    demo <- function(x, f) { message("hello"); print(f(x)); message("bye"); }
    demo(3, mean);
    demo(3, return);

Best regards, Jan