[Rd] [External] Two ALTREP questions

Jiefei Wang @zwj|08 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Nov 22 04:27:49 CET 2020

Thank Dirk and Luke for the answers!

(That's C code. The confusion here is partly our fault. When Romain and I
> extended the inline package with 'cxxfunction' to support the then-young
> but
> active Rcpp package, we picked C++. Strictly speaking that isn't required;
> you are only in C++ here because ... "it made sense to us 10 years ago" and
> it could generalized to C++ or C.  All ALTREP is, of course, purely C as it
> is an R API.)

Sometimes I forget to distinguish C/C++ code. Yes, this should be C code
and it is just C++ compatible.
Anyway, `inline` is a great package, `cxxfunction` makes life much easier
for reporting the low-level problem to the devel team.

- Try with 1:6 replaced by as.character(1:6), and look at the REF
>    values in both cases.
> - In particular, look at what this gives you:
>      x <- as.character(1:6)
>      attr(x, "dim") <- c(2, 3)
> - Things can be a little different with larger vectors; try variants
>    of your examples for more than 64 elements.

I see why we cannot change the attribute of the compact sequence(It is
shared, or at least marked as shared)
and the use of the wrapper for the large vector. Only the matrix function
needs to be patched.

The generally recommended way is via a bug report at bugs.r-project.org

You can find the suggested process for contributing described in the
> 'Reporting Bugs' link on the R home page https://www.r-project.org/

Bugzilla sounds like a good place to start, I will send an email to acquire
an account.

Best,
Jiefei

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]