[Rd] .Internal(quit(...)): system call failed: Cannot allocate memory

Jan Gorecki j@goreck| @end|ng |rom w|t@edu@p|
Tue Nov 24 15:48:54 CET 2020

As for other calls to system. I avoid calling system. In the past I
had some (to get memory stats from OS), but they were failing with
exactly the same issue. So yes, if I would add call to system before
calling quit, I believe it would fail with the same error.
At the same time I think (although I am not sure) that new allocations
made in R are working fine. So R seems to reserve some memory and can
continue to operate, while external call like system will fail. Maybe
it is like this by design, don't know.

Aside from this problem that is easy to report due to the warning
message, I think that gc() is choking at the same time. I tried to
make reproducible example for that, multiple times but couldn't, let
me try one more time.
It happens to manifest when there is 4e8+ unique characters/factors in
an R session. I am able to reproduce it using data.table and dplyr
(0.8.4 because 1.0.0+ fails even sooner), but using base R is not easy
because of the size. I described briefly problem in:
https://github.com/h2oai/db-benchmark/issues/110

It would help if gcinfo() could take FALSE/TRUE/2L where 2L will print
even more information about gc, like how much time the each gc()
process took, how many objects it has to check on each level.

Best regards,
Jan