[Rd] more Matrix weirdness

Georgi Boshnakov georg|@bo@hn@kov @end|ng |rom m@nche@ter@@c@uk
Wed Sep 9 12:48:56 CEST 2020

I think that this is because `[<-` dispatches on S4 methods only if the first argument is S4.
?"[<-" says:

"These operators are also implicit S4 generics, but as primitives,
     S4 methods will be dispatched only on S4 objects ‘x’."

Georgi Boshnakov

-----Original Message-----

Message: 19
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2020 22:04:44 -0400
From: Ben Bolker <bbolker using gmail.com>
To: r-devel <r-devel using r-project.org>
Subject: [Rd] more Matrix weirdness

   Am I being too optimistic in expecting this (mixing and matching
matrices and Matrices) to work?  If x is a matrix and m is a Matrix,
replacing a commensurately sized sub-matrix of x with m throws "number
of items to replace is not a multiple of replacement length" ...

x <- matrix(0,nrow=3,ncol=10, dimnames=list(letters[1:3],LETTERS[1:10]))
m <- Matrix(matrix(1:9,3,3))
x[rr,cc] <- m

    cheers
     Ben Bolker