[Rd] [External] memory consumption of nested (un)serialize of sys.frames()

Andreas Kersting r-deve| @end|ng |rom @ker@t|ng@de
Wed Apr 7 16:06:23 CEST 2021

Hi Luke,

Please see https://github.com/akersting/dumpTest for the package.

Here a session showing my issue:

> library(dumpTest)
> sessionInfo()
R version 4.0.5 (2021-03-31)
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)
Running under: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

Matrix products: default
BLAS:   /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/blas/libblas.so.3.8.0
LAPACK: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/lapack/liblapack.so.3.8.0

locale:
 [1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C
 [3] LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8
 [5] LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8    LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
 [7] LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NAME=C
 [9] LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C
[11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] dumpTest_0.1.0

[1] compiler_4.0.5
> for (i in 1:100) {
+   print(i)
+   print(system.time(f()))
+ }
[1] 1
   user  system elapsed
  0.028   0.004   0.034
[1] 2
   user  system elapsed
  0.067   0.008   0.075
[1] 3
   user  system elapsed
  0.176   0.000   0.176
[1] 4
   user  system elapsed
  0.335   0.012   0.349
[1] 5
   user  system elapsed
  0.745   0.023   0.770
[1] 6
   user  system elapsed
  1.495   0.060   1.572
[1] 7
   user  system elapsed
  2.902   0.136   3.040
[1] 8
   user  system elapsed
  5.753   0.272   6.034
[1] 9
   user  system elapsed
 11.807   0.708  12.597
[1] 10
^C
Timing stopped at: 6.638 0.549 7.214

I had to interrupt in iteration 10 because I was running low on RAM.

Regards,
Andreas