[Rd] R 4.0.1-4.0.5 built with Intel Composer 19.0-19.1.1, error in "make check" on CentOS 7.7-7.9

Ryan Novosielski novo@|rj @end|ng |rom rutger@@edu
Fri Apr 16 20:39:04 CEST 2021

> On Apr 16, 2021, at 2:32 PM, Ivan Krylov <krylov.r00t using gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 18:06:51 +0000
> Ryan Novosielski <novosirj using rutgers.edu> wrote:
>
>> Well it definitely somehow could have, since it did
>
> Wow! This is strange, but at least it should be easy to fix. Try editing
> the config.site file in the root of the R source directory and setting
> R_C_STACK_DIRECTION=down there. (Make sure to uncomment the line!)
> Re-run .../configure, make sure that src/include/config.h contains
> #define C_STACK_DIRECTION 1 and build R again.
>
> Does the crash go away?

Will give it a shot, thanks, that’s great!

> If it does, are you interested in finding out
> what went wrong in the configure test for stack direction?

I’m interested in putting in the time to make this build/the tests succeed for anyone else who wants to use R with the Intel Parallel Studio/oneAPI for sure. I’m not actually sure whether it makes much difference, vs. gcc, beyond using the MKL for BLAS/LAPACK, but we do pay for this compiler, and try to use it anytime we might get a slight boost out of it. One of the reasons too is that it can do auto-vectorization and build fat binaries for the various processor instruction sets. I don’t know how much that matters in R either, but if we can get the best performance out of our system-wide install from that, we want to do it.

> There are lines in m4/R.m4 that I'm not sure I understand:
>
>    if test ${?} = 1; then
>      r_cv_cstack_direction=down
>    elif test ${?} = 1; then
>      r_cv_cstack_direction=up
>    fi
>
> How can elif branch have the same condition as the if branch? Shouldn't
> the second test had been for $? = 255? On the other hand, if the elif
> branch was never taken, how did R_CStackDir become -1?

IANAm4P, but that does seem like a pretty good question. I guess there’s probably some mode of m4 I could run against that and see if there’s any indication?

--
#BlackLivesMatter
____
||_// the State	 |         Ryan Novosielski - novosirj using rutgers.edu
|| \\ University | Sr. Technologist - 973/972.0922 (2x0922) ~*~ RBHS Campus
||  \\    of NJ	 | Office of Advanced Research Computing - MSB C630, Newark
     `'