[Rd] [External] Re: Update on rtools4 and ucrt support

Avraham Adler @vr@h@m@@d|er @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Aug 24 00:03:07 CEST 2021

On Tue, Aug 24, 2021 at 12:47 AM Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek using r-project.org>
wrote:

> Avi,
>
> please see the announcement:
>

> https://developer.r-project.org/Blog/public/2021/03/12/windows/utf-8-toolchain-and-cran-package-checks/index.html
>
> the documentation is in
>

> https://svn.r-project.org/R-dev-web/trunk/WindowsBuilds/winutf8/ucrt3/howto.html
>
> Cheers,
> Simon
>

> On Aug 24, 2021, at 8:34 AM, Avraham Adler <avraham.adler using gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 11:09 PM <luke-tierney using uiowa.edu> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 23 Aug 2021, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>
> On 23/08/2021 8:15 a.m., jan Vitek via R-devel wrote:
>
> Hi Jeroen,
>
> I mostly lurk on this list, but I was struck by your combative tone.
>
> To pick on two random bits:
>
> … a 6gb tarball with manually built things on his personal machine…
>

> … a black-box system that is so opaque and complex that only one person
> knows how it works, and would make it much more difficult for
> students, universities, and other organisations to build R packages
> and libraries on Windows…
>

> Tomas’ tool chain isn't a blackbox, it has copious documentation (see
>
> [1])
>
> and builds on any machine thanks to the provided docker container.
>
> This is not to criticise your work which has its unique strengths, but

> state the obvious: these strengths are best discussed without passion
> based on factually accurate descriptions.
>

> I agree with Jan.  I'm not sure a discussion in this forum would be
>
> fruitful,
>
> but I really wish Jeroen and Tomas would get together, aiming to merge
>
> their
>
> toolchains, keeping the best aspects of both.
>
> I haven't been involved in the development of either one, but have been

> "victim" of the two chain rivalry, because the rgl package is not easy

> build.  I get instructions from each of them on how to do the build, and
> those instructions for one toolchain generally break the build on the
>
> other
>
> one.  While it is probably possible to detect the toolchain and have the
> build adapt to whichever one is in use, it would be a lot easier for me
>
> (and
>
> I imagine every other maintainer of a package using external libs) if I
>
> just
>
> had to follow one set of instructions.
>
> Duncan Murdoch
>

> Here are just a few comments from my perspective (I am an R-core
> member, but am not part of the CRAN team and do only very limited work
> on Windows). Other R-core members may have different perspectives and
> insights.
>
> One bit of background: dealing with encoding issues on Windows has
> been taking an unsustainable amount of R-core resources for some time
> now. Tomas Kalibera has been taking the lead on trying to address
> [...]
Thank you, Simon. That was valuable. Skimming that quickly, I get a bit
concerned. I’ve been building from source and then using OpenBLAS in my R
source for many, many years now, and it looks like its support is tenuous
in the experimental chain. Similarly with packages like nloptr, where I
build NLOPT 2.6+ and have adjusted Jelmer’s code for it to work in R for
Windows. I maintain packages with Fortran/OpenMP and Rcpp(Parallel). I hope
that should the decision be made to switch, it will be done when the build
process is more streamlined, especially for some fundamental packages.

That being said, I must take the opportunity again to thank R-core, Tomas,
Jeroen, Duncan among many others who have built an infrastructure that
allows amateur programmers to contribute to the statistical infrastructure.

Thanks again,

Avi
--
Sent from Gmail Mobile