[Rd] [External] Re: Update on rtools4 and ucrt support

Gabriel Becker g@bembecker @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Aug 24 02:46:39 CEST 2021

Hi all,

I will preface this with the fact that I don't do work on windows and the
following is based on remembered conversations/talks/etc from a while ago
so may be either incorrect or out of date, but I recall one of the major
things Jeroen was  targeting was use of/integration with a meaningful
package manager for external library dependencies in windows from-source
package builds, and that *I think* this was a part of his (then explicitly
experimental) Rtools4 setup (?)

Is the above correct, and if so, is there also package manager
integration/usage in Tomas' official R-core UCRT toolchain? If not, could
it be (perhaps, as Duncan suggested, via collaborative effort involving
Jeroen as well)?

I admit, both windows toolchains/builds and non-latin encodings are things
I have so far stayed away from, so I can't really contribute beyond that,
other than to say, as others have, that I do think both are impressive
pieces of work and that both Jeroen and Tomas should have our thanks thanks
for this and a lot of other work they put into R and the R community.

Best,
~G