[Rd] Is it a good choice to increase the NCONNECTION value?

Simon Urbanek @|mon@urb@nek @end|ng |rom R-project@org
Wed Aug 25 02:25:47 CEST 2021

Martin,

I don't think static connection limit is sensible. Recall that connections can be anything, not just necessarily sockets or file descriptions so they are not linked to the system fd limit. For example, if you use a codec then you will need twice the number of connections than the fds. To be honest the connection limit is one of the main reasons why in our big data applications we have always avoided R connections and used C-level sockets instead (others were lack of control over the socket flags, but that has been addressed in the last release). So I'd vote for at the very least increasing the limit significantly (at least 1k if not more) and, ideally, make it dynamic if memory footprint is an issue.

Cheers,
Simon