[Rd] Question about the UCRT switch

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Dec 9 16:12:24 CET 2021

On 12/9/21 3:30 PM, Therneau, Terry M., Ph.D. via R-devel wrote:
> The connected blog has the statement  "Most authors will not have to do anything as the
> number of CRAN packages that will need some attention is below 1%, but authors of packages
> using native (C, C++ or Fortran) code should read the following lines."
>
> My packages do use a lot of C, but I never use Windows.   My reading of "the following
> lines" is that  I don't have to do anything.   Is this correct?

Well but your users might be using Windows, so as long as your package
is on CRAN and you are maintaining it to support Windows, the blog might
have useful information for you - for instance how to check whether you
need to update your packages or not, but see below.

Specifically for your case, CRAN packages bdsmatrix, coxme, deming,
noweb and survival are passing their checks with the new toolchain, as
can be seen from the result pages such as

https://cran.r-project.org/web/checks/check_results_survival.html

They do not use any installation-time patches, as can be seen from

https://svn.r-project.org/R-dev-web/trunk/WindowsBuilds/winutf8/ucrt3/r_packages/patches/CRAN/

So, you really don't have to do anything, as most package authors with
native code who don't use Windows.

Best
Tomas