[Rd] On read.csv and write.csv

Gabriel Becker g@bembecker @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Jul 1 01:02:53 CEST 2021

Hi Stephen,

Personally, I don't have super strong feelings about this, but
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc4180#section-2 does say that the
optional header line should have the same number of fields as the data
records, so in as much as that is the "CSV specification", R's read.csv
behavior is supporting an extension, whereas its write.csv is
outputting "standard" compliant csv.

It is possible that one or a few of the mentioned multitude of independent
specs do specify header can have one less, I don't know, but if so,
according to the ietf, its not overly common.

I can't even speak to whether that is why the behavior is as it is, but I
figured it was worth mentioning.

~G