[Rd] [External] SET_COMPLEX_ELT and SET_RAW_ELT missing from Rinternals.h

Konrad Siek konr@d@@|ek @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Jul 3 17:49:38 CEST 2021

I think all of my questions are answered. Thank you for your attention and
assistance.

The first question is whether you need to do this. Or, more to the
> point, whether it is safe to do this. In R objects should behave as if
> they are not mutable. Mutation in C code may be OK if the objects are
> not reachable from any R variables, but that almost always means they
> are private to your code so yo can use what you know about internal
> structure.

Thank you for the warning. I believe it's a legitimate use. In extremely
rough summary: A C function is called via .Call. Inside it, I create the
vector and use SET_*_ELT to populate it. I then return the vector. There is
some amount of complexity between creation and population, and the vector
can potentially be ALTREP.

I don't use SET_*_ELT on any vector I have not created.

COMPLEX0 is not in the API; it will probably be removed from the
> installed header files as we clean these up.

My mistake, thank you.

ALTCOMPLEX_SET_ELT is an internal implementation feature and not in the API.
> Again, it will probably be removed from the installed headers.

Thanks for the warning. I'll make sure to avoid it.