[Rd] tools::update_pkg_po() doesn't work on Solaris?

Michael Chirico m|ch@e|ch|r|co4 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Jul 12 08:43:15 CEST 2021

Hi all,

I am about 99% sure tools::update_pkg_po() is using an invocation that
is not supported by the Solaris version of msgfmt.

The invocation[1]:

msgfmt -c --statistics -o /path/to/file.mo /path/to/file.po

AFAICT neither -c nor --statistics appear to be supported by Solaris [2]:

I don't have access to a Solaris machine where I can try this, but I
did manage to get r-hub to pass by disabling those options in potools
which similarly relies on msgfmt to generate .mo files [3], [4].

So I wanted to check with the list if anyone can confirm this before
filing a bug report.

Thanks,
Mike C

[1] per https://github.com/wch/r-source/blob/59a1965239143ca6242b9cc948d8834e1194e84a/src/library/tools/R/translations.R#L142