[Rd] R for windows: Why is Rtools not part of the R-distribution

Søren Højsgaard @orenh @end|ng |rom m@th@@@u@dk
Wed Jul 14 09:24:01 CEST 2021

Dear all,

This issue may have come up before, but then I have overlooked it: I
wonder if there are good reasons that rtools is not a part of R for
windows?

If, for example, in a teaching situation you want the students to fetch
a recent version of a package from e.g. github, then it would be easy
if one needed not go through the steps of installing the rtools outside
of R. There may of course also be alternatives that I am not aware of?

As I wrote, the must be good reasons - I just can't spot them (it can't
really be the size of distribution any longer).

Best regards
Søren