[Rd] Small Fix: Greatly Increase Clarity/Utility of R Package Help/Manual Overview Pages

Sebastian Meyer @eb@meyer @end|ng |rom |@u@de
Tue Jun 29 14:53:29 CEST 2021

Just in case others (like me) don't instantly know what this is about.

This only affects the html help.
Compare the HTML index page for the base package "graphics"

https://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-patched/library/graphics/html/00Index.html

with the index page for the base package "grDevices"

https://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-patched/library/grDevices/html/00Index.html

The latter is split by first letter, the former isn't as it only lists
98 <= 100 help pages.

I don't really have a preference for either (but I also rarely use the
html help system). Using a threshold seems reasonable to avoid blowing
up the index of a small package like "splines" but provide some anchors
for a large package like "stats". 50 may be too low as a threshold.
Looking at package "parallel" with its 45 entries

https://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-patched/library/parallel/html/00Index.html

the listing doesn't seem long enough to benefit from alphabetic
sectioning. Probably a matter of taste.

Best regards,

	Sebastian