[Rd] ALTREP ALTINTEGER_SUM/MIN/MAX Return Value and Behavior

Gabriel Becker g@bembecker @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Jun 29 20:44:17 CEST 2021

Hi Sebastian,

min/max do not materialize the vector, you will see it as compact after
same as before. It *does* however do a pass over the data chunked by
region, which is much more expensive than it need be for compact sequences,
that is true.

I think in some version of code that never made it out of the branch, I had
default min/max methods which took sortedness into account if it was known.
One thing that significantly complicated that cod ewas that you have to
find the edge of the NAs(/NaNs for the real case) if narm is TRUE, which
involves a binary search using ELT (or a linear one using
ITERATE_BY_REGION, I suppose).

That said a newer version of the count nas code did get in from a later
patch  to update, so it is available in r-devel and could be used to
revisit that approach.

That aside, it is true that compact sequences in particular never have NAs
so the min and max altrep methods for those classes would be trivial. I
kind of doubt people are creating compact sequences and then asking for the
min/max/mean of them very often in practice.

Best,
~G