[Rd] S3 dispatch does not work for generics defined inside an environment

Wed Jun 30 14:16:24 CEST 2021

On 30/06/2021 7:37 a.m., Taras Zakharko wrote:
> Thats not how I read the code? Consider this snippet from registerS3method:
>
> genfun <- get(genname, envir = envir)
>          if (.isMethodsDispatchOn() && methods::is(genfun, "genericFunction"))
>              genfun <- methods::finalDefaultMethod(genfun using default)
>          if (typeof(genfun) == "closure")
>              environment(genfun)
>          else .BaseNamespaceEnv
>
> This is the environment where the method cache (.__S3MethodsTable__.) will be updated. The problem hoverer, the with the default setting of _R_S3_METHOD_LOOKUP_USE_TOPENV_AS_DEFENV_ this is *not* the environment where R will look for the method cache. Manually injecting the entry into the method cache of the top environment instead works like a charm.
>
> The envir argument is just for looking up the generic function.

Yes, I think you're right:  the method is registered in the environment
of the generic.  I think by default it is searched for in the topenv()
of that environment.

In most cases those are the same thing, but in your code they aren't the
same:  the topenv is the global environment.

So I think I'd agree this is a bug.  I'd say the bug is in
registerS3method, which should pay attention to the
_R_S3_METHOD_LOOKUP_USE_TOPENV_AS_DEFENV_ setting when it computes defenv.

Here's a workaround that copies methods to the appropriate place:

fixS3registrations <- function(genericname, envir = parent.frame()) {
   generic <- get(genericname, envir=envir)
   genenv <- environment(generic)
   top <- topenv(genenv)

   if (!identical(genenv, top)) {
     toptable <- top[[".__S3MethodsTable__."]]
     if (is.null(toptable)) {
       toptable <- new.env(hash = TRUE, parent = baseenv())
       top[[".__S3MethodsTable__."]] <- toptable
     }
     table <- genenv[[".__S3MethodsTable__."]]
     if (!is.null(table)) {
       methodnames <- ls(table, pattern = paste0(genericname, "[.][^.]*$"))
       for (m in methodnames)
         toptable[[m]] <- table[[m]]
     }
   }
}

env <- local({
   # define the generic function and the method
   myfun <- function(x) UseMethod("myfun")
   myfun.myclass <- function(x) print("called myfun.myclass")

      # register the method
      .S3method("myfun", "myclass", myfun.myclass)
      fixS3registrations("myfun")

      environment()
   })

env$myfun(structure(0, class = "myclass"))
#> [1] "called myfun.myclass"

Duncan Murdoch