[Rd] Potential improvements of ave?

Tue Mar 16 14:39:38 CET 2021

On 16 March 2021 at 10:50, Martin Maechler wrote:
| I vaguely remember (from Luke's docs/presentation on ALTREP)
| that there are some "missing parts" here.
| One of them the not-existing R level functionality, another may be
| the C code below R's  is.unsorted()  ... maybe  is.unsorted()
| could get a new argument and or be re-written, moving  the NA
| handling also to C and have that happen *after* the C code looks
| if it's an ALTREP object and if that "knows it's sorted".

Somewhat related: I recently tried to demonstrate that, say, a 1e2 and a 1e6
vector each with one added NA should have equal "O(1)" time under anyNA(),
yet apparently they do not---so the other magic bit (about knowing NAness)
may not propagate. (That was with R 4.0.4.) I may also have missed a crucial
bit about enabling ALTREPness here, yet the "gist of it" always was (AFAIK)
that it is supposedly seamless.

Dirk

--
https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org