[Rd] boneheaded BLAS questions

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Mar 18 09:15:55 CET 2021

On 3/18/21 3:53 AM, Ben Bolker wrote:
> Thanks.  I know it's supposed to Just Work (and I definitely
> appreciate all the work that's gone into making it Just Work 99% of
> the time!).
>
>   I tried --with-lapack, no joy.
>   Will try to decipher the rules file tomorrow ...

This is documented in R Admin manual, section A.3, and there is also
"configure --help".

On my Ubuntu 20.04, using "--with-blas --with-lapack" when a BLAS/LAPACK
implementation is installed via "apt" works for me:

with libblas3, liblapack3 I get in R via sessionInfo()

BLAS:   /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/blas/libblas.so.3.9.0
LAPACK: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/lapack/liblapack.so.3.9.0

then I install libopenblas0 and get, after re-starting R (not rebuilding):

BLAS:   /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/openblas-pthread/libblas.so.3
LAPACK: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/openblas-pthread/liblapack.so.3

Best
Tomas