[Rd] custom allocators, Valgrind and uninitialized memory

Andreas Kersting r-deve| @end|ng |rom @ker@t|ng@de
Tue Mar 30 10:33:55 CEST 2021

Hi Simon, hi Tomas,

Let me try to wrap up this discussion:

- "What does any of this to do with CRAN?"
Not much, I agree. It is just that this whole issue arose because the CRAN team asked me to fix the use of uninitialized memory as reported by Valgrind. Sorry for mixing things up here.

- "I don't quite get your earlier response about allocating *after* the call since that makes no sense to me"
I was talking about *initializing* after the call as originally suggested by Tomas and - as I wrote - I also do not like my proposal involving MAP_FIXED.

- bottom line
allocVector3() is correctly marking memory as uninitialized because it cannot safely assume otherwise. It is ok for a custom allocator to return already initialized memory and inform Valgrind about this fact.

I hope, this summarizes it well.

Thanks for your time and support, Tomas and Simon. Very much appreciated!

Regards,
Andreas