[Rd] [External] Re: 1954 from NA

iuke-tier@ey m@iii@g oii uiow@@edu iuke-tier@ey m@iii@g oii uiow@@edu
Mon May 24 15:14:56 CEST 2021

On Mon, 24 May 2021, Adrian Dușa wrote:

> On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 2:11 PM Greg Minshall <minshall using umich.edu> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> if you have 500 columns of possibly-NA'd variables, you could have one
>> column of 500 "bits", where each bit has one of N values, N being the
>> number of explanations the corresponding column has for why the NA
>> exists.

PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS!

It will not work reliably, as has been explained to you ad nauseam in
this thread.

If you distribute code that does this it will only lead to bug reports
on R that will waste R-core time.

As Alex explained, you can use attributes for this. If you need
operations to preserve attributes across subsetting you can define
subsetting methods that do that.

If you are dead set on doing something in C you can try to develop an
ALTREP class that provides augmented missing value information.

Best,

luke

--
Luke Tierney