[Rd] [External] Re: 1954 from NA

Adrian Dușa du@@@@dr|@n @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue May 25 17:12:56 CEST 2021

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 4:14 PM <luke-tierney using uiowa.edu> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Yes, it should be discarded.
>
> You can of course do what you like in code you keep to yourself. But
> please do not distribute code that does this. via CRAN or any other
> means. It will only create problems for those maintaining R.
>
> > After all, the NA is nothing but a tagged NaN.
>
> And we are now paying a price for what was, in hindsight, an
> unfortunate decision.

I (only now) understand that. That code is based on the R sources and (mind
you) an almost identical one from package haven.

Regardless, it was not the code I was trying to show, but the vignette: the
end result, the functionality of the software.
That is, automatically treat declared missing values as NAs, without users
being required to explicitly deal with attributes.

Now that I think about it, there might be a way to do this without tagging
NAs, so back to square one.

Best wishes,
Adrian

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]