[Rd] [External] Re: 1954 from NA

Adrian Dușa du@@@@dr|@n @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed May 26 19:08:42 CEST 2021

On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 6:43 PM Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan using gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> > In the best case scenario, it unnecessarily triples the size of the
> > data, but perhaps this is the only way forward.
>
> I don't see how it could triple the size.  Surely an integer has enough
> values to cover all possible kinds of missingness.  So on integer or
> factor data you'd double the size, on real or character data you'd
> increase it by 50%.  (This is assuming you're on a 64 bit platform with
> 32 bit integers and 64 bit reals and pointers.)

Apologies, that was supposed to be double the size not triple, 99% of the
survey data are integers.
But I suppose that is alright, space doesn't seem to be a problem.

Thank you very much for the examples, they do seem to cover the basics
indeed.
(that is what I meant when I wrote there might be a way without tagging
NAs).

Will take it from there, best wishes,
Adrian

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]